Since 1970, during the Viet Nam War, the Red River Valley Fighter Pilots Association (RRVA) has provided scholarship assistance to the surviving dependents of U.S. military personnel killed-in-action, missing-in-action, prisoner-of-war or killed while performing aircrew duties in a non-combat aircraft accident; and, more recently, families of association members. Nevertheless, it became clear that other philanthropic, civic and patriotic programs were necessary in order to achieve the RRVA's guiding principles of Pride of Patriotism and Defense of the Constitution.
Therefore, in 1998, the Air Warrior Courage Foundation (AWCF) was formed by the membership of the RRVA. This action was taken in recognition of problems being increasingly faced by active, retired and/former members of the U.S. military, their families and our nation at large. Areas of interest include:
- The need to expand "caring for our own" programs and activities to assist disabled, needy former members and their dependents of the U.S. Armed Services; widows and orphans of deceased veterans facing medical-incident related expenses beyond their ability to reasonably meet;
- To develop programs to perpetuate the memory of deceased veterans of the U.S. Armed Services and to comfort their survivors;
- To sponsor and/or participate in activities of a patriotic nature;
- To provide scholarship assistance, funding and/or programs for educational purposes, particularly those leading to military aviation careers;
- To encourage programs that develop in American youth those attributes that are basic characteristics of good citizenship and military service;
- To provide support for the education of those in fields related to aviation and space; and,
- To provide recognition of excellence in aviation and space disciplines or exploration.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
You are the "key" to success of the AWCF Your support is necessary to identify individuals or projects in need of attention and assistance. It may be you, a close friend or an idea, if within our mandate, we are prepared to help. Please contact the AWCF National Office.
The Air Warrior Courage Foundation is an IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization and is therefore eligible for personal or corporate contributions, as well as United Way donations. All support is an endorsement of the Foundation's Guiding Principles.